Wednesday, December 10, 2008

And I thought Hawaii was part of the USA!!

Didn't you think Hawaii was the 50th state? I know that it used to be. What happened to it? Was there a revolution and Hawaii won its Independence? The reason I ask is because of a message left on my cell phone today. I tried to order some candy to send to a friend that lives in Hawaii. I went online last night to Heaton Pecan Farms (Clanton, Alabama) and placed an online order. Today they called. Their message said, "Hello, Mrs. Stewart, this is Heaton Pecan Farm. We only ship to the United States so we won't be shipping your package to 'Hiwarya'. Please call 1-800 etc.. if you have any questions." Of course, I would love to call them back and tell them that "Hiwarya" is in the United States but they are on Central Time and I can only make calls during my planning period which is between 7 AM and 8 AM Central Time. I had an appointment immediately after work today and didn't get home until after they closed. I am amazed at the ignorance of some people. Today I contacted another company and they have no problem shipping to Hawaii. Good!!
At the top is a Santa Quilt I made in a class at Quilts and Fixins in Jonesboro, Georgia. It is one of those fusible grid quilts where you place all the squares of fabric on the grid, iron it down, then sew across all the grids. It was fun to do but not fun enough to do again!
Julie

8 comments:

Amy said...

O my that would stink,, I had some stuff I ordered one time and it would not tell me whether it was coming USPS or UPS.. and sometimes we do not have a regular postal addie,, sometimes makes ya mad...I hope you can get what you want for your friend, Love the SANTA.

Kay said...

Well, your Santa sure turned out beautifully!

Sigh... I know what you mean about Hawaii. I've had people say to me, "Do you use the same kind of money? I know it's part of the United States but do you use the same currency?" "Do you all speak English?" And so forth..

When we moved back to Hawaii, it was considered OVERSEAS so we had to pay foreign transport prices. Sigh....

And then when you try to buy things online to be mailed to you, you often see the message: "Except Alaska and Hawaii"
Sigh......

Roseanne said...

your quilt of santa is very nice julie. I hope your gift gets to Hawaii in time....

Isabella said...

you gotta be kiddin even I know that much LOL

Brenda said...

Hi Julie,
Maybe they meant they do not ship outside the "continental" USA... this is common if they use UPS or another ground carrier (as opposed to USPS). Some small companies just hire geography flunkies and although they do use the postal service, they still don't know it's not a big deal to ship to Hawaii...
I think you just need to find your goodies elsewhere, Hickory Farms? LOL!

www.welovequilting.com said...

Call them back and tell the nuts about the nuts you want and ask them when Hair Are Yah got cut loose from the USA.. I order mine from Whaley Pecans in Alabama and they are great. Always bending over backwards to see what they can do.. maybe you should try them.
Chris
www.welovequilting.com
www.welovequilting.com/blog

Amy (lilme2_99) said...

Hey Julie!
Catching up on your posts......your "first quilt" from your class looks VERY nice---great colors! And I'm SO EXCITED FOR YOU and your sleigh bed :0)

5 more days and counting 'til break (for YOU!) We still have school on Monday/Tuesday 22nd/23rd, but 'tis alright. I'll be able to kick back some but the kids won't---I'll be testing both those days.

Hope you can wait it out until then......

Happy Friday

Tanya said...

That's hilarious! Sometimes there are so many Japanese over there that you hardly hear any English spoken there!