Sunday, October 19, 2008

Bonnie Hunter Workshop

What a fantastic two days it was! The workshop was on October 15th. I took a personal day at work in order to attend. It was definitely worth it. Bonnie is like an old friend - she is so sweet and personable. You really do feel like you already know someone when you have been reading their blog and interacting with them through other Internet venues.


We chose the Starstruck workshop and here is Bonnie's quilt. It was so interesting to see other people's color and fabric choices.


You may recognize the names Linda and Emily from Columbus, Georgia. They are on Stashbusters and they came to the workshop also. It was really fun to get to know them a little better.

Here is a Quiltville member, Anne D. She was the coordinator for the workshop and we are so grateful to her for making sure that everything ran perfectly. Here she is hard at work on her own version of Starstruck.Sarah - a member of the Quilt Mavericks blogring - came to the workshop too. It was fun to meet new people - especially people who previously only existed on the computer. LOL.Thursday night we had our regular guiild meeting, but the program was Bonnie's lecture and trunk show. I took lots of pictures but am only showing a few here. I just loved this quilt of Bonnie's but I can't remember the name of it.


These crumb quilts are my absolute favorites. I just love the wonkiness and fun of them. And the fact that they are made from what many folks would have thrown away.
Here is Bonnie with her own Carolina Crossroads. This was the first of her online Quiltville mystery quilts and I jumped right on board with it.
Here is my version of Carolina Crossroads. I pieced the top and gave it to my mom for her birthday. She had it machine quilted by Cindy Wall of Cinnamon Dreams. You may remember my recent post in memory of Cindy. She has since passed away and we all miss her.
Here is my version of Orange Crush - another of Bonnie's online mystery quilts.


Last but certainly not least, this is Cindy's Old Tobacco Road. She had just finished it the morning that she died. She was going to photograph it and put it on the Quiltville site that afternoon but she died before that could happen so I am going to do it for her. Cindy used some of her Laurel Burch fabric stash on this one and it is very bright and colorful.

By the way, Cindy's elderly dogs were left behind when she died. They still do not have a home and are living at the veterinarian's kennel. We are all hoping to find them a good home. Do you know of anyone who would like to adopt one or both of them? They are so friendly and sweet and it would break Cindy's heart to know that they are homeless.
Here they are, all dressed up for Halloween. Just look at those sweet faces!!

Julie











17 comments:

sewkalico said...

Wow! What wonderful pictures and a great time. I bet you thought about Cindy a lot, what a shame she missed this. I do hope someone can come to the rescue of her dogs, it's so sad to hear they are homeless.

Elaine Adair said...

Thanks for a lovely visit - I found you by way of ??? Quiltchat? on Yahoo ... hey I'm a senior citizen, I forgot HOW I got here! LOL

I was admiring all the Quiltville.com quilts and then I found YOU. Thank for a lovely time. I am very sad to hear about your lovely friend - my, she was a beautiful woman. What a legacy for her family to have finished her quilt. Hope her pets found homes by now.

Katie said...

It's so nice you had such a good time. Cindy's quilt is wonderful. Cool colors. :-)

Candace said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, and all the quilts are lovely. I hope that Cindy's dogs find a home, and her OTR is very pretty. A happy and sad post, just like life. It says a lot for Cindy that she is remembered so warmly by so many.

Roseanne said...

look like you had a good time .All the quilts look very nice .It is so great to get with other people and have some fun.

Lori said...

I am so happy that you had a great time. Thanks for sharing, I feel like I was there. Cindy and the ones she left behind are still in my thoughts.

Oddbjørg said...

It seems that you have had nice days, and I have enjoyed visiting your blog again :-)

Kay said...

I am in total awe of what you all did! The quilts are too gorgeous! I can just imagine the hours of work that goes into each piece. I really need to go get a sewing machine. I left mine with my daughter in Illinois when we moved to Hawaii. I just can't decide which brand to get. Any advice?

Quilter Kathy said...

I very much enjoyed reading about Bonnie's visit...almost felt like being there! Thanks for showing us your quilt photos! Just love your CC quilt!

em's scrapbag said...

What a fun time for you. I am so happy you were able to go. Thanks for all the eye candy. What truely amazing and wonderful quilts.

Tanya said...

Your quilts are all wonderful! Cindy's Tobacco Road is amazing. I hope someone has taken both of her dogs for her. I can't think of a better gift for someone who has passed on than to take care of their pets...

Renee said...

wow, looks like you had a great time. it just reminds me of the good old days seeing a bunch of women get together and quilt and quilt talk. one day, i'll join a club or guild. but for now, i'll live vicariously through those of you who attend. lol. thanks for sharing the lovely photo's. hope the doggies find a good home and preferably together. take care.

scraphappy said...

What a great time you must have had. The pictures are lovely and do such a great job of showing off all the quilts. It must have been great to meet all the people you've gotten to know online. It does sometimes seem like you all live only in the computer.

Stanley said...

WOW. You are REALLY good at quilting! My mom used to do it last time. She made me a blanket and I used it until it was so full of hole I HAD to get new one. My new blankets never felt anything close to the old one...

Rhonda said...

Wow! How much fun was that!! All the quilts are wonderful!

Cathy said...

Terrific Post Julie...some great quilts. My favourite would have to be the Carolina Crossroads...love the blue coloured one!! Those gorgeous dogs...home they find a loving home soon! Cathy

Gari said...

Julie, I remember you, you were one of the ones that didn't want to quit when the rest of us were pooped. Maribel and I really enjoyed ourselves and your guild members were very nice to have us. I also don't know when I will get my "stars" done as I am currently quilting a Christmas quilt and then have another to piece and quilt. Busy, busy.