Monday, May 4, 2009

Finally, a quilty post. Well, not all quilty.


Here is the result of my toothbrush rug experiment. I only got it about 8 inches in diameter before I stopped. It is a toothbrush trivet, LOL. The rug started cupping into a bowl shape. I now know how to control the tension so that it won't do this. Not bad for a first try.
This is my favorite project right now. English paper piecing is lots of fun, and the perfect portable project. I am going for a tumbling blocks look. It is challenging to find those medium colors! Contrast is the key.
I completed this needlepunch project while on Spring Break. It is called Scaredy Cat, or is it Fraidy Cat? I don't remember. Anyway, I just love the faces on the little pumpkins. Needlepunch is such a cool thing to do, and most people have never heard of it.
This is a miniature quilt top, still waiting for its borders. It seems so boring compared to the other things I am working on.
I am looking forward to my quilt guild's retreat in a couple of weeks. I hope to get a charity quilt made, as well as some baby quilts. I am way behind in these projects. I don't want to try to do too much, because I know from past experience that I get more talking done than quilting.
Only 13 more student days until school is out for summer break. The kids are getting more and more out of control as the time approaches. I just hope we can avoid any major meltdowns or drama. The last couple of weeks we have to really tighten up, because the kids are stir crazy.
Enjoy your week.
Julie

8 comments:

Debs said...

Oh, so breathtakingly busy with lovely results. Retreat sounds like lots of fun - enjoy.

Kris said...

Sounds like you and the students really need a break! It is finally getting cool here and we are now enjoying autumnal weather. I really love your punchneedle project. It is so much fun to do! I hope you have a lovely time at your retreat. I went to one a week or so ago, and had sooooooo much fun! I hope you do too!

Tracy said...

It's nice to see what you've been working on. EPP - I'll say it again: Better you than me. :-D

I was so proud of myself at my last Bee meeting. I only took 2 projects and I actually worked on both of them. Usually I take 6 or 8 things to work on and then end up just doing the social butterfly thing.

Did you finish the bargello quilt yet?

Peggy said...

You have been busy, love the cats and the pumpkins! You're really so good !

sewkalico said...

LOVE those tumbling blocks - one of my favorite patterns and your color choices are gorgeous!

Kay said...

It's fun to see all your projects, Julie. Very wonderful!

Elizabeth said...

Dear quiltfriend,
My sister is, after an exiting period, finaly pregnant of her first baby.
Now I would like to make a bright-colored quilt for her. To welcome the baby to this world
with a quilt from patches from all over the world. I try to collect scraps of 12x12 cm (5x5 inch).
Do you have a piece of fabric that may be suitable, perhaps you would sent it to me.
I would really like to use it!

Many thanks and warm greetings,
Elizabeth Kremer
Wedderweg 91
9665 JM Oude Pekela
Netherlands
http://beautysalonambiance.blogspot.com/

hetty said...

The tumbling blocks are looking good! I love the Fraidy Cat needlepunch. Very cute! It hard to believe that this school year is almost over!